The cheapest shaving soap, Williams (about $1.50) at any drug store, doesn't have sodium lauryl sulfate in it. It has potassium stearate, sodium tallowate, pentasodium pentetate and tetrasodium etidronate. But no sodium lauryl sulfate. LOL. Rinse well and most people can use it without reaction. Some guys get into the habit of just toweling off the excess, and you can get away with it with most canned stuff, but dried soap isn't good for the mug. I usually shave in the shower so rinsing is quick.

I use a coffee mug for the soap. Got it as a gift, with flowers as I remember it.

As for a brush I got a Berma-Shave brush better than ten years ago and a spare for about $5 each at a drug store and I still haven't worn out the first one. Not much to look at, simple red and tan plastic handle, blond bristles. The bristles are described as "natural" on the box.

Point here is that if you look at the European shaving kit and accessories your going to find out you can spend considerable amounts of coin. Spend some time looking at the high-end on-line specialty stores selling shaving gear and your going to think you need to send a small fortune to scrape off a beard. Not so. Head down to your local drug store and you can get stuff that is cheap and works.

It is no longer possible to buy the quick and dirty double-edged razor at any brick-and-mortar store I know of but the blades are easy to find. Most any drug store carries them. If you want the double-edge razor itself you have to go on-line or visit an antique shop or flea market.

If a straight razor is more your style the best deals on new ones are on-line. There are a very few brick-n-mortar stores that sell them left. you can get old ones at flea markets and antique stores but you really need to know what your after and what your looking at. It is easy to buy a use one that isn't shaped or sharpened well and then get turned off to the entire process. Using a straight razor is something of an art and it takes time to learn, do right, and maintain the blades. All useful skills and character building.

If your busy, impatient, and just want to scrape off the beard with minimum fuss and muss, as opposed to the near ceremonial nature of using a straight razor, your going to like a double edged razor better.

Many straight razor users keep a 'safety' razor handy for when they are in a hurry and don't have time to do it right and enjoy the process.