Many “adventurists,” whether of the arm chair variety or for real, mourn the passing of an excellently designed survival firearm; the Springfield Armory M6 Survival 410GA/22Caliber Firearm. I truly believe it was the best thought out firearm ever of that rare category. The fact that the M6 is no longer available new for sale is a tough fact of life, being completely out of production. HOWEVER, if anyone out there is in the midst of redesigning such a firearm for eventual production and sale to the general public, I would like to offer some ideas for a freshly designed survival weapon. Of course the trick it to avoid the ultra high expense of the high-end German drillings. What I have in mind is still a product that is in the $150.00 to $500.00 price range.

Some will immediately disagree with my first concept; really more of an assumption. That is that most of us who often, really go out alone into the wilderness, already carry side arms intended to stop humans and/or bears. So, what I propose is simply accepting this fact. The problem with this for most is a pistol designed for such tasks is not good for general adventuring or survival. What I am saying is that I will always have the pistol with me but I also want to carry a well designed combo firearm designed and intended primarily for the hunting of a variety of edible game animals that is very light in weight. With this first concept a given, at least to me, I would now like to offer my suggestions:

1) The 22 Caliber should still be part of such a firearm for the simple fact that there is no other round like it in versatility, being inexpensive, universally available and the round being available in several configurations; shorts, longs, long rifle, silent, shotshell, etc. The thing I would like to see in a newly designed firearm is the option of single shot to semi-auto or bolt fed. While the single shot break action of the M6 forced the shooter to really focus to make each shot count and there is great value in that, the shooter should have enough ammo to be a little more generous in his firing. After all, the goal is to actually hit the live target and get to eat!

2) The other change is leaving off the 410GA and substituting either 20GA or 12GA, though the 12 seems too large for a light weight firearm of this type. And keep the single action configuration. While the 410GA did allow in some models (rifled 410GA barrels only for this) to fire the 45LC, that was not much of an advantage. I had personally rather have a 20GA round in many configurations and be able to carry 20 to 50 rounds anytime I go into the wild.

3) It might be possible to offer such a general design in different gauges and calibers in set models, much like the Savage Arms Combos. Perhaps the two barrels of such a firearm could be side-by-side instead of over/under. Some might prefer the rifle portion to be a 3006, 308, 30-30, 223, 45-70, 44mag or such, though I think a 22Cal/20GA combo would be the lightest and most popular.

4) While the M6 was much appreciated for its striped down efficiency and ultra light weight I would like to suggest a different ethic, though not inconsistent with some of the design elements of the M6.
a. For instance, more ergonomic design; comfortable hand-fit would be nice.
b. Hard rubber or plastic used for a minimal fore end and/or butt stock. Actual wood seems too extravagant for such a firearm but there might be some design wizard out there who could have elements of wood integral to this thing without taking away its utility.
c. Some kind of scope rails or attaching devices.
d. Would come with sling swivels installed.
e. Total weight of unloaded firearm not to exceed 4 pounds. The M6 weighs 2.5lbs. The Savage Combos top out at over 8lbs!
f. Still needs to be easily broken down into at least two pieces.
g. Minimum lengths for both barrels not to exceed the M6 to aid in lightness and utility.

Does anyone out there get what I am saying?