Originally Posted By: jaywalke
The modeling is mainly contracted by the DHHS, but the whole governmental alphabet is involved, including the folks in uniform.

That's right. After DHHS, I believe the Department of Defense is their next biggest contract. The US military is spread out around the globe, so DoD is acutely interested in any sort of global pandemic that could affect service members.

Obviously, minimum required troop levels vary unit-by-unit, but I heard a DoD spokesperson mention on TV when this H1N1 scare first flared up that it doesn't really take that much absenteeism from disease to render a unit "combat ineffective" whether you're talking about a frontline infantry unit or a logistics or intelligence unit far from the "fight". So the DoD is very interested in the work done by groups like the Bioinformatics Institute at VT.

At least with the military folks, if their superiors order them to do something drastic like grab their tents and spread out across a big military base and keep their distance from everyone for 10 days while a local epidemic burns out, they would do it. Now why can't the little ones listen to mommy and daddy and just stay home? (I'm being facetious, of course wink )