Originally Posted By: MedXLT
What would you like to see in terms of a flashlight "torture test". Boiling, dropping, running over with a car, hitting with a hammer? What would be the ultimate test of durability?
Personally, I don't worry much over torture tests. Give me a warranty like Pelican has.

Quote:
Pelican guarantees its products for a lifetime against breakage or defects in workmanship. Pelican cases are guaranteed to be watertight to a depth of 3 feet for 30 minutes (IP 67) unless otherwise stated if properly closed with undamaged o-ring in place. Pelican’s liability is limited to the case and not its contents. This guarantee does not cover the lamp or batteries (rechargeable or alkaline) for lights. Any liability, either expressed or implied, is limited to replacement of the product. This guarantee is void if the Pelican™ product has been abused beyond normal and sensible wear and tear. This guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack or damage caused by children under five.

I can't tell you how many times I've given them a call and asked for replacement bezles, O-rings, battery trays, clips, etc etc etc and have had them in a matter of days free of charge.

Sure I have the "fancy" LED lights (Surefire), but the light I use almost every day when at home is a close tie between my UKAA and my Pelican.

The Pelicans have been used so much that I can't begin to tell you how many bulbs have been replaced, let alone batteries and miscellaneous replacement parts.

The best "torture test" I've ever witnessed was a roughly 200 foot drop off of a contactor tower on a gas plant while working night shift. Light was on when it left the hand, and light was still on when it landed. Helped us find it after it bounced off the roof of the unit and skipped/slid across the pad into the grass.

As for the UKAA, same goes as does for the Pelicans. The UK's have seen a little more cold weather useage (on and off several times a night shift in temps down to -60°F Ambient). Bulbs tend to last a bit longer in the UK's simply because of their size. Less inertia means less damage on impact when dropped, as well as making them less handy makeshift hammers...

I consider those expensive lights nothing but flash. I've never seen a light worse on battery life then my Surefire. I'm sure that some peoples ideal flashlight is something aluminum and bright as daylight, but I don't need to use mine as a makeshift weapon. If I did, I'm sure the Pelican would hurt just as bad.