My grandfather's nieghbor was Lee Duncan, owner/trainer of Rin Tin Tin. If you go back even farther, there was a silent screen
german shepherd called Rex the wonder dog, a Shuetzen trained animal of legendary intelligence. You can read about him in a book called Kinship with all life by T. Allen Boone.
Mr Duncan stopped by one day with a new female for breeding named Suzy, a descendant of Rex and incredibly trained in her own right. She dutifully sat next to me on guard under the eucalyptus trees while Mr Duncan and grandpa talked about doing more for the new veteran's from Korea at the VFW.
This Painted Lady butterfly decided the top of Suzy's nose was a good salt lick.
Poor Suzy! She sat unmoved while this butterfly harried her to near breaking. I had been taught never to interfer with the shepherds while working but Suzy gave me short pleading looks from the corner of her eye and when the adults weren't looking I swatted the butterfly away. Mr Duncan looked over, released Suzy with the command GO PLAY! We both jumped up and within seconds were chasing each other in a field now covered with apartments.
Suzy became a movie dog herself, totally fearless when 5 in 1 blanks went off. But if a butterfly came anywhere near she would fall apart until I confessed to Mr Duncan what I saw.
I think suzy had her own supply of Deet ever after!