Susan:

In your post you stated “‘...there is not yet any foolproof remedy for human error and a lack of luck.'" I feel compelled to respond that in my opinion there is a remedy,, regrettably that remedy is death.

Please accept my apology if I offend, but if the urban dweller goes into a part of the world they know they shouldn't be in, during adverse conditions, I personally say that is when the Darwin factor kicks in. We humans have services and people that directly block that "thinning" from happening by rushing out in the middle of the night, in a snow storm, to rescue the people who should have known better. Children, on the other hand, just don't know better. Children should be sought after and don't necessarily know when things are in over there head or when things have gone from "fun" to "life threatening"

I should add that I am one of those that rush out to help. Having done SAR in Alaska, Maine and Rescue in Mass, I was and will always bee one of those willing to help those that just don't think things through.

Edited by Tyber (05/15/09 10:16 AM)