I learned:

*That a modern pandemic was indeed possible, and that despite updated medical knowledge and improved hygiene, it could deteriorate into a bad situation very quickly.

*While well-prepared for most other emergencies, I lacked or had misplaced a few things needed during a pandemic or other health-related emergency, like extra oral rehydration salts.

*There was a surprising amount of initial confusion and delay amongst international/national authorities when it came to getting out reliable, up-to-date information; and that even the CDC was several days behind breaking news posted by local authorities via Twitter and other news feeds.

*Hospitals can become quickly overwhelmed, even during a mild pandemic.

*Drug stores run out of N91 masks and hand sanitizer more quickly than hardware stores. Extra food and water are more of an afterthought.

*That said, the majority of the public will still not prepare for a health-related emergency. "If I get sick, I get sick". seems to be the most common response.

Edited by Meadowlark (05/13/09 08:33 PM)
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840