On a camping trip a friend of mine found out why you should never buy a camouflage wallet. Sitting down he took it out and laid it down. It was within three feet of him but he couldn't find it.

Buying a camouflage wallet was stupid but the next thing he did was no smarter. He started to dig through the leaf litter and duff. I come back and he is on his hands and knees rooting around.

I placed a marker where he thought he was sitting, giving us a reference point, and as the sun set we set about slowly and gently searching. We spent the next 90 minutes on hands and knees covering the ground inch by inch. We found the wallet. It was about two feet from the estimated start point.

I realize camping and survival often has military or paramilitary overtones and lots of guys carry fantasies of sneaking around in the woods. But there are things that you don't want to lose. Anything smaller than your head needs to be a color and pattern that makes it visible.

Backpacks, tents, coats and rainwear can be a subdued color. These are typically large enough that they don't disappear in plain sight and there is no need to create visual pollution.

If you need to handle tools and small parts it often pays to spread out a drop cloth. I sometimes work in areas with what we call 'sugar sand'. It is very soft sand that flows easily. Any tools laid down tend to sink in and have sand drift over them. I have lost a fair number of tools this way.

IMHO flashlights, lighters, wallets and pocket knives should be a bright color if you intend to use them in the field without laying out a ground cloth or other working surface.