During my over-nighter in the bush I took some notes on what equipment worked and what did not.

I felt pressured for time while I was constructing the shelter site and if I found a tool or technique was ineffective, I quickly replaced it if possible.

I had taken a few cutting edges (belt knife, Mora knife, EDC folder, mini-folder, SAK ...) to test but found that the brush-hook blade and folding saw were the most effective wood cutting tools I had. If I had a swede saw or axe I would have used them, when it was getting dark and I needed firewood in a hurry I wished for my Husqvarna chainsaw that was sitting in my garage at home.

First aid tools became important for a brief time during the evening. I received numerous scratches on my hands when I had my gloves off (duh), but when reaching for a piece of firewood I drove a 3/4 inch sliver into the palm of my right hand, at the first knuckle. I used the needle from the AMK/DR PSK and the tweezers from my SAK Classic Whistler (EDC attached to my keyring), to remove it by the light of my headlamp.

The headlamp I used was a Petzl Tactikka Plus it was terrific and I wore it from dusk till dawn.

I also had a SAK AA LED flashlight with a neoprene glove on it so I could hold it in my teeth, it is a good light but I only used it long enough to find the headlamp buried in my pack.

Being able to heat water over the fire was a big help in staying warm. The 400ml SS metal container I hung over the fire came with a see-thru lid, I bought it at the local dollar store. This container forms the exterior of my "Shelter Kit" that contains cordage, an AMK Bivy, an AMK Heatsheet and a second smaller tin can container. I did not take all this kit with me, so I will post about it in detail another time.

A poncho liner or even better a wool blanket would have been great to sleep under; the wool would have been more ember-proof than synthetic.

When I was starting to build the shelter I had a light airplane circle low once over me. I had a blaze orange hat on and think the pilot was just curious what I was doing in the marsh? If this was a real survival situation I am sure I could have signaled the plane for help with a mirror, flare, smoke or even just arm signals.

I was very suspect of the water in the area because of the amount of old mines/tailings nearby. The creek I was camped beside would probably be OK for drinking after treatment, but if I had to drink the water I was going to walk about 800m southeast to a stream that flows out of a trout lake at the top of the local watershed. As it turned out I carried 4 litres of water in with me and did not use all of it.

I had plans of setting out hare snares and hand-fishing in the large river about 1km south of me but there was just not the time, things to learn/test on another trip.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (05/07/09 12:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Spellling