Originally Posted By: massacre
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
If there is anywhere I want to be during a nuclear strike, it's going to be at ground zero. That way I won't feel a thing, won't suffer, and won't be around for the chaos afterwards.

I have a feeling this is the default thinking for many folks, and will almost certainly contribute to a lot of the panic, chaos and FUD if it happens; few make preparations when they want and expect the worst to hit directly. I'm not questioning you personally ki4buc (hey, you visit here - so I assume you're better off than most!), but what happens if such a person weren't a target, but close enough to feel the aftereffects of either a man made or natural disasters?

My response was the "avoid living near a target". I'd rather live near one, close enough to get zapped. Then again, what if I'm on vacation and not at home? A lot of people (including myself) fail to adequately prepare for things while on vacation. You cannot really conceivably take everything, but you can prepare somewhat.

For the current pandemic, I've been encouraging people that live in NYC (or anywhere really) to have 2 to 4 weeks of dry food (beans and rice, some nice preservative loaded processed snacks that are shelf stable for multiple lifetimes. wink ) if it got really bad. Things might be closed, or you won't want to go out. At least one person who thought my idea was B.S. 6 months ago to have 72 hour kit suddenly thinks it's not such a bad idea to be prepared. Especially when I said "what if they close stores either to a) prevent spread or b) all of the staff is sick?".

Just prepare for interruptions in obtaining goods and services. That means, keep stocked up, visit the doctor or dentist as soon as you can to take care of issues, etc. Carpe Diem!