Originally Posted By: wildman800
I have been very surprised at the governmental response from the local levels to the Federal levels, including the WHO. It all seems like a massive over reaction to me.

Yes, I think this has been treated as a drill. Soooo convenient for many reasons,,,after the actual flu season is over, IMO.

I, for one, would rather see the reaction we got instead of an under reaction. And although the media obviously was fanning the flame, there were plenty of experts on hand who were both clearheaded and professional. As long as they aren't sowing mass panic (like the Media wasn't trying!), it means all resources are called in quickly and the experts get to work immediately.

In fact, some experts think our emergency response was both too slow and the WHO too cautious in raising the level of emergency:
http://blogs.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2009/05/exclusive-meet.html

I've read your second sentence a few times, and it's just dripping with subtext. I don't want to get into most of that, but one assumed item I agree upon; there are those who are profiting and will do so in the future(no surprise there). Be that as it may, even a drill now and then tests the machinery, keeps preparedness and the need for infrastructure to handle it in people's minds. No matter what happens, there are those who will attempt to benefit by this, even to the point of contributing to the FUD. It's nothing new, nor something that's likely ever to go away.

And I recall not that long ago, how the government woefully under reacted to another emergency and caught hell for it.