Well, I've only been able to find one other article today that mentions this HIV + flu turning into a super virus idea, and that article seems to refer back to that original UPI article as a source. That lack of wider coverage probably means this first UPI article was a mistake.

Actually, it's rather annoying. This is the article and when you read it, it seems to imply that the head of the WHO, Dr. Margaret Chan, is afraid of the flu and HIV mixing genetically in an interview with the Financial Times. Financial Times? That's a serious newspaper, and the head of the WHO is a serious position, so it must be true, right? In this article, you see this:

"Disease experts are especially concerned that the ability to mutate seen so far in the virus could eventually see it combine with the human immunodeficiency virus, which causes AIDS."

However, the only interviews with Dr. Chan that I could find at the Financial Times website are either this or this , and in neither article does she mention this idea. Finally, I noticed at the bottom of the article that the UPI article is a source, so this reporter apparently just got the idea from there.

So, I think we can officially put this one to rest.