It's a shame but I think some kids actually don't have any other kind of clothing besides jeans and cotton Ts. Especially some lower income people. Blame the parents as a good number of them don't know any better either.

And yes even when you specified no cotton (I suppose you gave the specific example of blue jeans and cotton Ts) some kids came with them because they really didn't have much else. Blue jeans may be relatively durable but I don't think they are even all that great for urbanites. I personally like cotton because of the feel but I prefer (far prefer) a nylon blend when it comes to outdoor activities.

As far as never lighting a match or starting a fire - my mother told me that a number of years ago as well. She said it was because there was always a man around to do it for her. Well, OK, putting aside 1950's and 60's social norms aside, I still found that statement surprising. Just about any kid has played with matches (even the ones reprimanded by their parents!) so I find that statement about the kids above almost as equally incredulous. I was playing with matches (and firecrackers) as soon as I knew how to! And of course I played RESPONSIBLY! (And if you believe that, I have some swampland to sell you... smile