Well, Spring is sort of here in the Puget Sound area, and I'm starting to get out and work off all the winter fat. To that end, I've been walking the trails in Dashpoint State Park, which is pretty much in my back yard.

Here's the photoset for Fern Alley.

Now, I've been thinking about getting out and visiting other parks around the state, but I want to get into shape first. When I go further afield, I'm going to add a water bottle carrier (Maxpedition if I can afford it) kit to this for water purification and making lunch. Right now, I'm just heading out for a bit of exercise, and if it comes down to it, I can walk over to the camp area and hit a water fountain. =D

I wear Cabela's cargo pants when I'm out walking. Everything here (except the hiking stick, of course) fits into the pants pockets. Anything I add to this later, will either go into the water bottle carrier or windbreaker pockets. (Aside from adding some water purification tabs and a couple freezer bags to my pockets.)

The idea is to get the most important stuff on my body, not carried. The jacket pockets can hold more, as can the pouch on the water bottle carrier, but both of those could potentially be lost.

That said, here's what's in my pants so far:

Front Left pocket: Bandana and a Lansky pocket sharpener. I'll add a Petzl e+Lite headlamp when I start going further afield. IF I get in shape enough to even contemplate that this year.

Front Right pocket: Keys and a Midnite Minichamp. It's one with a red LED. Handy for finding other lights. Really cool little knife. This pocket should also have a Benchmade Mini-Grip clipped to it, but that's in for repairs at the moment.

Left Cargo pocket: PSP and an emergency poncho. Would carry a bigger poncho if I was expecting some rain, or going further out. The metal bit between the tinder and the compass is the split ring from the SAK on the back side:

The backside of the PSP. I've added a mini-Bic lighter, a Victorinox Cadet is standing in for a Farmer which I'll add later, and a Fisher bullet style Space Pen. I need to add in a white LED, but I'm waiting until I get get the Ritter-ized Photon II for that use. As I'm only out for a couple hours in the mornings, and pretty much in my backyard, no rush. When I go further afield, I'll toss a few water purification tablets into the kit.

Right Cargo pocket: AMK 2 person Heatsheets blanket, and an AMK Pocket Medic kit with a few additions. I need to get some Immodium for the first aid kit. I'll also be carrying an inhaler in this pocket, or another. Just didn't bring it out today to photograph.

My Leatherman Blast. This guy rides in its own pocket. The cargo pants have a velcro-closure pocket above the right cargo, which fits pretty well. At least, it's a better fit than the sheath that came with the knife.

Well, this wasn't in my pocket, but I normally carry it with me, so I snapped a pic. Good old fashioned hickory hiking stick. It's a bit heavy, though, so I will probably look for something lighter for longer hikes. It gets the job done for now.

Not pictured: Cell phone in jacket pocket. Kimber Pro Carry II on right hip. (Wasn't going to take that one out on a busy trail to photograph. =P) Pens and notepad in jacket pocket. Sunglasses, normally worn or in coat pocket. Camera pouch on left hip.

Edited by BrianB (04/27/09 06:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Fix image link.