I've had the same experience with Silva.
Seven years after the warranty had expired the luminous glow in the dark stuff inside seemed to be dissolving, or so I thought.
The fluid started to become -ever so slightly- cloudy. Otherwise, the compass performed flawlessly. Concerned, I sent them an email describing things.

They asked me to send them the compass on their expense so they could examine the matter.
Shortly after, my compass was returned to me with a brand new capsule installed AND they returned the old one as well, with as said was working fine.

Now hold on. Upon receiving the repaired compass back I noticed the capsule was different than what I had. I had degrees, and it came back with Mills....
Another email and off it went back to Silva again.
Compass was returned very quickly with the correct new degrees capsule plus a friendly note apologizing for the inconveinience!
It didn't cost me one cent.
Actually, I felt a bit ashamed afterward complaining about such a minor thing.

Bottom line... I was entitled to abosolutely nothing warranty-wise but Silva decided to go the extra 10! miles and replace a perfectly good compass because I complained about the fluid not being crystal clear anymore. Customer satisfaction is not just something they talk about, it's what they live by. All I can say is if you need a compass get a Silva, it's a sure bet.
Pharaoh.