Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Any other Local Emergency Management Coordinators here, speak up, would love some tips and pointers.

Are you looking for generic tips, specific to communications, or both? I would assume both.

My biggest challenge is that they give you a NIMS derived ICS template that has in excess of 30 unique job functions painstakingly defined with checklists and action plans.

If I took every single elected official plus the fire chief and myself - that's five people. If I add in all the people who want to work in Emergency Planning, that brings it up to 7. We don't have a police department, a public works department, our local "road department" is 2 part-time guys. We don't have a public school, no public water or sewer.

So I look at the ICS tables with all the ESF designators and "to do" lists for each ESF and I chuckle, because if I actually filled even half of those positions, the administrative staff would outnumber the available volunteers by about 6:1.

So the challenge is collapsing as much of the structure as possible without killing it entirely, delegating up to county where I can and coming up with a more realistic approach than the full NIMS model, which I find to be wildly over-complicated for non-urban environments with 100% volunteer staffing at every level up to and including elected officials.