Originally Posted By: JohnN
Originally Posted By: Kris

btw: its a very easy repair and can even be done in the wilderness if you have the right torx bit.

Hi Kris -- Speak for yerself! ;-)

I've taken apart my Grips, and found why Benchmade doesn't want you doing it. In general, I found it a PITA to get it back together, but not impossible either.

I've seen reports on knifeforums everywhere from "I don't know what you were smoking, it is a breeze to put back together." to "I gave up. I couldn't get it back together.".

Oh, and the bit is kind of hard to find. I ended up just ordering the kit from Benchmade.

From what I hear, spring failure is rare, but not unheard of. As Doug points out, you can improvise in a pinch.

-john

I'm not mechanically inclined by any means and I had it completed in about 10-15 mins... trying to remember what the tedious part of it (i think it was keeping the springs in the right spot while getting the scales on with the blade in place)... heck, I'll take it apart tonight when i have some time and try to remember the process (i'm sure there's a youtube video about it!).

I do remember it wasn't difficult and was surprised.