Originally Posted By: MedB
Normally I am pretty accepting of the human failings we all have, but in this case I have to agree with Andrew.

If you lack the skills and demeanor to be a good McDonald's cashier, someone gets the wrong hamburger.

If you lack the skills and demeanor to be a good 911 operator, someone dies.

There has to be a higher standard here.

I couldn't agree more. I respect everyone's job from the smallest to the largest. All I ask is that you perform your job as expected. If I order a hamburger from a fast food place, I expect to be greeted in a positive tone and to get my food in a reasonable amount of time.

If I call 911, I expect them to treat my call as an emergency. If it is later deemed to not be an emergency than so be it, but that shouldn't be determined by the operator.

Reminds me of a story when I was doing some acting in college. The director told me the story of being in a small, insignifact role in a play. He was something like spear carrier #3. He said that he was determined to be the best spear carrier #3 he could be. It is that attitude that stuck with me till today. If you do something, do it and try to do it to the best of your ability, otherwise, don't even bother.