It has been a few years since I put together my vest article. Once of my lower pockets had a reasonably good repair kit in it. Over the past couple of years I have updated and refined this kit to this....

OK, I do admit this sewing kit is a bit overkill, but it is currenly my daily vest kit. I am a big believer in a decent repair kit.

From the top left clockwise:

Pouch, this contains this stuff plus a few other items, (moleskin, paper, diamond stone, file, ACR whistle) but mostly it is my repair kit pouch.

Linder sewing ulu in my own sheath design. There is a twist of artificial sinew and one glovers needle inside.

One piece each--26 oz Filson mackinaw wool cloth and oil treated shelter cloth, reinforcing materials.

2 Blanket pins and 4 smaller safety pins.

Tube (Pentel pencil eraser tube) of assorted needles, sailmakers and a couple of sizes of standard sewing sharps…carry plenty.

Jens Anso scalpel, a perfect seam ripper.

Clover brand deerskin and metal fingertip thimble, super efficient, comfortable, and flat. A real nice new addition.

Spyderwire, 50lb on a business card spool, knots are difficult but strength is amazing.

Black waxed nylon sewing awl thread, on a handcarved wooden "spool".

Standard spool of sewing thread Guttman, best brand I know of for standard sewing thread.

100% wool repair yarn, blunt darning needle in this card is stored in tube with other needles normally. All wool item repair and darning, vest, gloves, sox, hats.

Red plastic yarn holder with two thicknesses of waxed nylon thread, with sailmakers, glover, and standard sharp needles (small piece of leftover wool yarn).

Yellow Kevlar thread spool (normally wrapped in paper as it wants to unravel at a mere thought). Also difficult knots but strong.

Needles defined (my definations at least):

Standard sharps…the ones you steal from the sewing basket or buy from a sewing store…they are sharp. Many many sizes with various lengths and eye sizes. Great for normal fabrics.

Glovers…stout needle with triangular point that is sharp on the triangle edges…it cuts the material as pushed through, great for soft leather.

Sailmakers….stout with triangular point that is NOT sharp on the triangle edges…it spreads the material as it is pushed though, great for canvas or heavy nylon or wool.

Darning…large eye, stout needle with a blunt rounded tip. Perfect for loose weave repair (wool) or fill work (darning)

Here is an image of the little sewing ulu (as I was making the sheath for it). This tool is a major addition to this kit. Perfect for all sorts of repair work.