Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hey Paul,

After a tragic inner-pack plastic bottle explosion about 15 years ago I have carried my whisky in an aluminum fuel bottle ever since. Lately I have noticed that the interior of the bottle is corroding and stuff is floating in my hooch; aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory.

Any problems with alcohol (the drinking kind, not stove fuel) being stored in a stainless steel bottle, because aluminum residue cannot be good for my memory?

Thanks,

Mike

Nope, nothing really. The steel can impart a slight metallic taste over time and it will build up pressure when it gets warmer (which is why I never fill it all the way up to the top), but otherwise it seems like alcohol can be left in there for a long time without ill consequences. I would say at least a few months.

With that said, if you plan on using a traditional flask, you do have to work to find a good one. Most of the ones you find in stores today are of poor quality. Either poorly soldiered/welded, poorly sealing (of the cap), or both. The better ones are less likely to leak and break, however they're tough to find and usually pretty expensive.