Given the enormity of the kits and shelf supplies for them that I've accumulated, I am wondering what a contrapositive approach to equipping would yield for an outcome. My first thoughts are what does it take to get by for 72 hours of relatively mundane survival conditions (not hanging by fingers from cliff edge, or braving 30 foot storm swells in the Perfect Storm, or hacking off a trapped limb, or being chased by insurgents, zombies, or pot farmers).

Admittedly, I've built much of my big kit on the premise of more is better, within reason. But what do I really have to have just to keep going for three days? Realizing that much of my day to day routine has me either at work or at home, my location kits are virtually limitless in that regard, at least insofar as I can meet all of my essentials and a lot of my basic luxuries with what I've stockpiled already, so discounting the office and the house, I am in transit, either in my car or on the train or afoot.

So with this, my focus is more toward EDC, and in that aspect, I think I have it almost licked, with one big, painful exception. Potable water continues to be the one thing that I cannot find a way to EDC in sufficient quantity for comfortable survival afoot. Depending on the environment I might reasonably expect to find myself in, I would want to have at least 3 gallons bare minimum for a 3 day stint (this assumes I cannot find an alternative source, which negates the need for EDC of the mass, although purification equipment might be needed nonetheless). I just can't see hodding around 3 gallons of water with me everywhere I go. Sure I can keep that in the car easy enough, but the train, or the bus, or walking around in commuter mode just ain't gonna happen.

Anyways, figuring what else I might need to get by, I came up with the following:

EDC - bic lighter, leatherman wave, photon light, the clothes on my back, my leather jacket or similar.

Things I should consider EDCing - some duct tape, an emergency blanket or poncho, my fedora, a pack of tissue or TP, some food, a small FSK.

I used to EDC these things and a lot more up till a couple years ago. I don't know why I quit, other than I moved it out of my shoulder bag and into my BOB for some reason; probably because I moved so much. I am thinking I need to put it all back in the bag and keep it with me again. Oh yeah, I should probably put a DR SRK in there somewhere.

So, other than the water, what else would you consider the bare minimum for a travelling 72 hour kit? Think in terms of true non-emergency necessity.

As a qualifier, I learned in Baghdad(and elk camp et al) that TP is not a luxury item. I found the alternatives wholly unsatisfying. YMMV.