Feeling very lucky and fortunate tonight!
We did not expect extreme weather today, and my wife and daughter were "out and about" when the tornado watches and warnings started popping up.

It was just a regular rain shower at the house, and I just happened to turn on the TV and discovered that the Tornado activity was cranking up; and began trying to call my wife's cell as soon as I realized (within 30 seconds) that it was serious.
I guess a lot of other folks had the same idea; because it took me about 10 minutes to get through to her (circuits busy).

Our local news folks did an excellent job of tracking the storms, live; and they were showing where a tornado was "on the ground" and it's projected path. Turns out my wife and daughter were having lunch in a restaurant very close to the path of the storm.
From all the radar and tracking info on the TV, I could tell that they had about a 15 minute window to get the heck out of there and make it South of the most treatening weather (heading South also happened to be toward home).
So, with a quick discussion and decision made, they threw the money on the table and got out.
[thankfully, the restaurant also had the TVs on in the bar, and everyone was becoming aware of the situation by then]

"Long story short", the wife did a great job of driving home in some very heavy rain, and even thought to phone me on the way to make sure that she was still heading in the safest direction. They did arrive home safely, as the tornado was causing much destruction very close to the area they had been.

Now, my 5 year old daughter wants her own kit, because (in her words) "Dad is always prepared".
So, we talked about her picking out a pack/bag that she would like, and talked about some things she would like to carry (flashlight, sunscreen, etc...).
It will probably end up being some sort of Hannah Montana bag with a mix of some useful items and some toys; but I think that should be just about perfect for her age.

Our thoughts and prayers are with those folks in our area that were not as lucky as we were today.