My note book, fountain pen and a wooden pencil. Never runs out of batteries, never fails to boot. I keep a few post-it notes stuck to the inside of the cover if I need to give someone a note. The old ones sit on a shelf if I ever need to go back and find something. Eventually, I'll buy a fire safe just for my notebooks. My fountain pen is made out of hard plastic and carries its own resupply of ink if I run out at an inopportune time. A threaded cap seals it shut to keep it from leaking. The pencil is a pencil. I can sharpen it with my pocket knife or a piece of sand paper if I need to. Its relatively water proof and it will write much longer then any pen. They also come in any length I want (for a while at least). The graphite pencil was invented in the Tudor period and sparked a revolution in natural art because people could now take their art outside. They've also been to space.