Quote:
Many of our posts are about the latest mousetrap. We review them, find problems or new features, run out to buy with the subconscious belief it will give us an edge ( like the latest knife.)

Couldn't agree more. My pick would be the classic USMC Kabar knife. I have dozens of knives, some very high tech and some, let's say more practical for outdoor utility chores. It's just a chunk of strong, sharp, plain "primitive" carbon steel, not INFI or whatever the latest wonder alloy. But when it comes to real hardcore survival there's no knife I'd rather have in my hand than my good old Kabar because I know it will do the job.

BTW, another common mistake is that a lot of people assume all the older technology somehow gets useless once new, "improved" products enter the market. Well, the new high-tech stuff may offer a lot of benefits but it doesn't make the low-tech alternatives any less effective per se. For instance, you might not consider a black powder muzzleloading rifle a viable choice for hunting but our ancestors used them with great effect not that long ago. With all the Goretex and synthetic materials out there lots of folks still swear by traditional wool clothing, caribou hide and whatnot. If it worked a hundred years ago it will still work today - and in some cases better than the latest technology.