Many of our posts are about the latest mousetrap. We review them, find problems or new features, run out to buy with the subconscious belief it will give us an edge ( like the latest knife.)

I'm going through my kit, once again finding a few unpleasant suprises like rusted needles and my Earl Grey smells like the water purification tablets the tea is supposed to make more palatable.

There are though, always a few welcome givens, stuff that still works. I thought it would be fun to start a thread
about these dependable items. So, one item per post.

Mine is the ESBIT stove. My unit is old, as in stamped Made in W-Germany. I have a nieghbor, WW2 collector who uses one made in that war.

I've had sheepherder stoves burn out right on the one 'sweet spot' that actually made coffee just as the snow came in on the north canyon rim.

But the ESBIT just keeps working. The fuel tabs are expensive, a little tough to ignite and you go on an almost Holy Grail search for a compatable cooking vessel.

But I've easilly steamed up rice, stew AND the new container of Earl Grey in mine.