Quote:
I really like the matchbox type compasses for compact fully-funtional instruments. These seem to be overlooked by many, but they are worth seeking out.

My old Recta...in the bottom right corner of this old image, goes with me loads of times. It is not quite as easy to use as a baseplate on a map, but otherwise most of the Silva system uses apply.

The matchbox compass does have a few advantages. I almost bought one of those matchbox Recta models a couple of years ago but after some serious consideration and hands-on practice I've also noted a few problems.

First, the folding mirror is really fragile. I don't think it would stand up to any kind of abuse. Then the bezel is small. Sure thing, the Recta is very compact but a small bezel means you can't take such an accurate reading easily. Also, any compass with a baseplate is going to make life a lot easier when you with work with a map.

IME a matchbox compass is a good choice when compact size is really important. But for serious work nothing beats a sighting compass w/ baseplate. The best of both worlds. smile