The only LED reading I have done is a paperback novel using a 3-LED headlamp. For no more than two hours at a time. The hotspot of the beam makes reading feel a little unnatural, but still workable. I didn't have any unnatural color issues, but then I was only reading a paperback - black text on the typical light cream colored paper - so no colors that needed to be represented accurately. Reading was not difficult, but a more diffuse beam with zero hotspot would have been more comfortable. Also, I was juggling getting progressive bifocals into position for reading as well as the LED headlamp, so I was doing double-adjustment duty. Those of you with younger eyes and no bifocals would only have the single-adjustment of controlling the LED hotspot placement. I would not choose to read by LED headlamp given other choices, but if that's all you have it's better than nothing. For general reading I want bright and very flat diffuse illumination ... something that LEDs can't quite provide yet (to the best of my knowledge).