Unfortunately just about every place, thing, event, and attraction I've seen recommended are either too far to get to or too big to enjoy if you'll only have 3 hours to spend. Even going to Santa Monica or Venice is a bit of a stretch from the downtown area if you've got to get there, take a look around and get back within 3 hours. The closest sort of mall to you would be at 7th St. and Fiqueroa. A great old time eatery that's within walking distance to the convention center is the Pantry Restaurant. Been open for many years, 24 hours a day. Only times they've ever closed was after an earthquake and once, sadly, by the health dept. Great fun if you're a meat eater. I eat there at least once a month.

I live in the Pasadena area, if you've got something specific you'd like to see or do I'll try to think of somewhere you can get to within your specified time limits.

JohnE

P.S. The place with the great dipped sandwiches is called Philippe's...;^) and they do in fact have great food and it's a neat old school place that is very much a part of old Los Angeles.

Edited by JohnE (03/23/09 01:05 AM)

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen