I am completely in agreement with your feelings on this subj.

I am wrapping up the home improvement projects that I had been putting off. I have just purchased some more pocket guides (got a line on another 1 that I have been wanting), bought some reference books to help me brush up on my woodsmanship, and bought some hardware that I'm afraid will not be available in the near and/or far future.

The pocket guides that I just bought: (all by Waterford Press)

Mushrooms: An introduction to familiar North American species
by Kavanaugh/Leung
ISBN: 13 978-1-58355-182-0 US$5.95
full color illustrations and information on edible & poisonous mushrooms

Animal Tracks: An introduction to the tracks & signs of familiar North American Species
by Kavanaugh
ISBN: 13 978-1-58355-072-4 US$5.95
full color illustrations and information on N. American Critters

I also picked up a copy of How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier. I haven't read it yet (it was a purchase that I had passed on earlier, regretted that but couldn't find it again until a few days ago). It appears to be a very thorough bit of work that includes an "edible plants" section. I will file a book report on this when I finish it.

There is a pocket guide on edible plants, available by Kavanaugh but I haven't found it yet and I've been too lazy(?) to order it.

I have no affiliation with Books A Million or Barnes & Noble,,,or any of these authors, publishers, etc.