I used the term "want" because my definition of need is quite narrowly defined. To me, "need" is survival (Shelter-Water-Food). Everything else is "want."

For a long while I haven't needed to buy anything other than food (for us and dog), toilet paper, postage stamps, hygiene products, fuel, medicine (which I could have lived without but the sore throat would have lasted longer).

If you "want" to buy something in the next couple years, and you can afford it, you may as well buy it now. Had this conversation with a friend last night who is mulling whether to replace a 120,000-mile Ford Explorer now (with a Honda Pilot), when the manufacturers and dealers are discounting significantly, or hang onto the Explorer until it dies (hopefully not on a remote stretch of road).

Like Susan, I've been seeing inflation creeping up for awhile on a lot of things, including my dog's food. Started noticing the inflation factor in the first half of 2008, presumably due to the then-declining dollar (which helped drive up fuel prices) and the price of fuel which affects manufacturing and transportation costs.

At outdoor suppliers that I frequent such as LL Bean, REI and Cabelas, I found the 2007-08 winter sales much better deals than the 2008-09 sales. I got much better deals on cast iron Dutch Ovens, etc. a year ago than I find now. With rare exception, nothing I "want" is cheaper than a year ago. My favored companies seem to have gotten smart in '07 when the credit crunch began and tightened their inventories in '08.

LED
- it was tongue-in-cheek. But I do think people who are comfortable spending money now can do so knowing that their purchases are making a bigger difference than usual for the businesses they buy from. That includes the corner grocer, the contractor hired to renovate a kitchen, the lawn service, the manicurist, the retailers, whatever.

America's businesses and workers do need people to spend.

And America's nonprofits need people to give because there is a lot of need in our country and around the world that our charities are hard-pressed to meet.

The most money I've spent lately on non-essentials was a contribution to the Washington Animal Rescue League. They've set up a food bank.

Edited by Dagny (03/19/09 02:09 PM)