Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi Paul810,

I was told in the past that my sled, a 2006 Ski-doo Expedition TUV 600 Liquid could not be studded due to the in-tunnel cooling system. I did a search tonight and there is one listing for studs using tunnel protectors, I will have to explore this option?

Ski-Doo sleds generally come with tunnel protectors, however the stock ones usually aren't designed for long studs as they're too short to protect the heat exchanger from them (the long studs). Therefore, you often have to swap out the protectors for longer ones. Often times they just slide right in real easy. Here's a pic to give you an idea of what they look like:

Quote:

The other problem I have with the regular (unstudded) track and carbide runners is if you stop on glare ice the carbides bite in and the track just spins around without traction. You end-up stopped on a completely flat, snowfree surface. This problem is worse when loading the sled on a ramp into a truck if the area is icy. You have to take a run at it, then mash the brakes as you reach the top of the ramp or you will slam into the rear cab of the truck.

Carbides will usually help with driving on ice, as they can usually bite in pretty well. Where they don't help is when you are driving on roads and on, say, an aluminum ramp. This is because the surface is simply too hard and unforgiving for the studs to really bite into, so you have to take it easy on those surfaces regardless of whether you have studs or not.

On snowmobiles it's always best to try and avoid traveling on roads as much as you can, anyway. They prefer to stay on snow covered trails. smile