Originally Posted By: jaywalke

I have found an opening technique that works well with the SAK. It's not pretty, but it keeps the wine in the bottle.
1. Insert corkscrew as usual.
2. Stand up, and brace bottle between your feet.
3. Bend at the knees and grasp the knife body.
4. Lift with the legs and twist slightly.

The cork comes out like it's greased, and the bottle doesn't move.

+10 - I've been opening wine bottles with SAKs for probably 30 years this way. I've never lost a bottle, spilled wine, broke a SAK, or busted up a cork (or rendered it unusable for re-stoppering). I would shudder to guess at the number of bottles I've opened. My friend was a server for probably 25+ years and has always used his SAK (readily available) behind the scenes at restaurants or when catering, but the house "approved" opener when out amongst the tables. He couldn't put a figure on the number of bottles he's opened with SAKs.

Sure, there may be better wine openers that take less effort or that look more cool, but I'll take my SAKs any day over the competition. They are immediately available to me. At home, even though the house wine openers are always in the same drawer, my SAK comes out in a flash and I'm done long before I fish the others out of the drawer.

BTW, I HAVE broken a good number of wine openers...metal, plastic, wood handled, etc. If that ever happens to a SAK from such standard use, I may faint dead away.

I hate to sound like a cheerleader, but...