Getting back from a nice trek in the hills I've been thinking about trying to do some more "ultralight" hiking now that it's getting warmer.

My usual setup when sleeping outdoors is my sleeping bag (w/ extra liner if the temperature is below freezing), closed-cell foam pad plus tarp or poncho to make a shelter. For quite a while I've been thinking about getting a hammock, though. It should be light, as compact as possible and strong enough to carry my weight (but I'm a pretty lean guy at 185lbs so that's not a major concern I suppose). Lately, I've done a little research and looks like I can get two types of compact hammocks. One is just the basic nylon net and the other is canvas.

The net-type hammock seems stronger to me an very foolproof. However, I've seen some of the canvas-type hammocks are made with two layers of fabric so you can put a sleeping pad or some other insulation inside. I suppose that would make it warmer and more comfortable but I have never tried it myself.

Does anyone here use a hammock regularly outdoors? Right now I'm pretty much undecided which one to pick (if at all) so I'd appreciate your tips and comments!