Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
So which hitch do you recommend?

I can only state my personal favorites. Everyone has their own favorite(s) based on what criteria is important to them.

My favorite hitches are the ground line hitch and the ossel hitch. Depending on the type of rope, what you're attaching to, etc., one of these two usually performs wonderfully and the other one often times doesn't work as well. I also often use a slipped constrictor knot as a hitch, even though that's considered a binding knot rather than a hitch. If you don't slip it, it's pretty much a permanent hitch - not wanting to be untied at all! I consider the buntline hitch you mentioned to be an very good hitch too, except that it's almost impossible to untie if it's gotten wet and been pulled tight. The hitch I use the most (because it fits the one specific job I do the most - tying up horses) I found in a knot book by John Shaw. He calls it the horse dealer's hitch, or something like that. The horses never get it undone with their teeth, and a quick pull on the slipped loop frees them immediately (while still leaving one wrap around the post you're hitched to so you can control them). That is a very specific use for a knot and most people don't need this functionality.

Quote:
Which bend do you recommend then if not the sheet bend?

My favorites are the zeppelin bend, the very similar riggers (or hunters) bend, and a little known gem named the shake hands. I have only seen the shake hands described in one book - by Geoffrey Budworth.

If you like sheet bend style bends because you're joining dissimilar ropes, look at the simple simon (and variations, especially the simple simon under). These appear to have the similar heritage to the sheet bend, but are more secure.

For loop knots, you can't go wrong with the angler's loop or the double dragon. If you need a loop that tends to keep itself open in a circle rather than an oval, the Eskimo bowline works well. I finish this bowline variant off with a safety overhand to add security if necessary

Tying instructions/videos for most of these knots can easily be found by just typing their name into Google.