Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
Les recommends a bowline...which I doubt I would trust with modern rope like nylon, I would suggest a buntline hitch instead,

A bowline is a loop. A buntline hitch is a hitch. The two types of knots server different purposes so you can't really compare them. A bowline is not my personal favorite loop knot, but it's not a bad knot, especially if finished off with a safety overhand or tied in one of it's more secure variations ("water bowline", "Eskimo bowline", "double bowline", etc.) A buntline hitch is not my favorite hitch either. They are usually secure enough (depends on rope material and diameter you are hitching to), but they can be quite difficult to untie.

Quote:
I think he should have also shown how to tie two ropes together, a sheet bend knot for example.

I'm not trying to be picky, but a sheet bend is not a very secure knot. There are many many other stronger and more secure bends. Sheet bends are OK for low risk mundane jobs though, if you don't really need security in the knot. But they spill easily.