Originally Posted By: Nemoaz
>>Does he demonstrate an expert approach to survival, I would think so.

Grylli Vanilli, an expert? Weekend warrior sham, yes. Hotel frequent flyer, yes. Expert, laughable. I won't let my children watch Idiot vs. Motel.

Les at least tries to show survival skills. He also tries to demonstrate a different skill each time, hence why he doesn't just pull out his shoelace and start a fire each time.

I'm sure some of us are fairly comfortable in our own environment, but if you were dropped into Africa or Arizona, you'd struggle too.

At least Les is authentic and doesn't demonstrate things that not only won't help you survive but actually increase your chance of failure.

As for the lean-to quote, I'm sure for his experience in a boreal forest, he's correct. A lean-to just doesn't offer sufficient protection here in Upper Michigan unless you are sleeping in front of a raging fire.

"I like Les. His is more real. I don't like Bear. His is bigger but fake. I'm a homo with special TV idol needs. I wish Les would magically appear in my room for me, but not Bear Grylls. Blah, blah, blah..."

SHUT UP!!!

Why do people always try to compare between these two? They are two different guys who ENJOY doing there own different style of show. If you don't like it, turn the channel. I personally watch both shows and I enjoy them both about the same. I do not, however, hope to learn anything in particular about survival from a TV show. Go on a survival outing with an accredited wilderness school to learn about survival. You ever heard of Tom Brown Jr.? Give one of his books a try. He is about as legendary as a survival guy can be, and he doesn't need a TV show to prove it. There is no magic formula for survival. It is primarily about attitude, which is something we can get a taste of from watching TV, but until you are there, you haven't learned anything.

I'm just tired of all the whining favoritist brats that feel the need to tell everybody who they like. It all sounds like a bunch of junior high school girls.

Congratulations on your book, Les, although I haven't read it yet.