Quote:
Art Ludwig says in his book that wrapping a tank with chicken wire and smearing concrete over it works, FWIW. The concrete clings to the chicken wire -- most concrete doesn't stick to plastic. I think it's like wearing an overcoat.

He might say so but to me, it doesn't sound like a great (or even semi-decent) solution. I can pretty much guarantee you the concrete will crack and chip if applied that way. As you noted, concrete doesn't stick to plastics and the chicken wire won't keep it together in the long run either. Any major temperature changes will make the problem worse, especially if the tank is going to be above the ground. As a matter of fact, the plastics will probably expand much more than the concrete skin so the tank itself might eventually rupture.

YMMV but in my experience I'd try something different. Even if the ground is rocky, burying the tank is still an option. It will just cost more $ and take longer but it will be worth it - far better insulation and the whole setup will be conveniently out of sight. Or if that's not possible, build a standalone shed or concrete box and install the tank inside.