I have wondered IF I should write my thoughts on some of this attitude to survive. Last night when info came out that 3 left the safety of the boat the way they did I wondered how Laurence Gonzales or Doug would write it. I am not trying to be inflammatory here, and I sincerely apologize if I am.

These men may have been young, strong strapping football players, but most professional athletes I know, and I know quite a few, are coddled mentally their entire life and never face the seriousness of reckless action. From high school to college and beyond, (pejoratively) pro athletes have grades handed to them, given passes in all tests of manhood not pertaining to furthering a sports career and generally coast through life. Their pampered. When confronted with any moment of life altering seriousness; family members, agents, lawyers, managers, handlers and close friends either make the decision for them or handle the issue by committee. Unlike the serious focus and determination they make towards the betterment of their condition for their profession, many of the athlete I know are quite fragile and weak mentally, unable to make a decision for them self without getting advice. It did not surprise me when I heard that at least one gave up by taking off their PFD and slipped away.

Exclusions certainly abound and when confronted with any potential responses to the above paragraph, I will say that none of these players in this accident were set on a trajectory that would transcend their sport and force them to be a persona of greatness like Ali, Beckham, Tiger, Jordan, et al where they would need to mature past just being a really, really good player in their sport. People like this are looked at as an entity above their sport and therefore constantly put into a position to make crucial decisions in business or life in front of the camera or on the spot, mindset is different when your the leader of the team or the guy who gets X million for playing, (or acting or signing, etc). For every sport god mentioned above there is 50 or more athletes who feel their life is an entitlement for what they can do in a sport and their lifestyle insulates them from confronting a real emergency with prepared thought and action.

Look this is a blanket comment not an indictment of these 3 or 4 guys. In fact the boat owner went to high school in my town and his family goes to my church where there was a vigil held last night. His dad is a local sportscaster. I am truly sorry for the loss of these guys. In the end,it's no longer going to be the story of 3 lost football players, its going to be about the survival story of the 1 who lived.

I am saddened that the 3 gave up or gave in. Its horrible. I have family and friends that would make the exact same decision that 3/4 of that boat made. That gives me no peace of mind. I am glad that one lived.

I will confess I am cringing as I hit the Submit button. I have no idea how this post will go over.