> Let's say you become 'homeless' but with a home sheltering you. No power,
> very little drinking water, and half empty pantry.

I suspect that's the most common result of disasters in the US. Katrina rendered most of the residents of New Orleans stranded in a town without power. Many midwesterners are left without power after major blizzards or tornadoes. Nor'easters in New England, blizzards and hurricanes on the East Coast.

It's less likely that your home will be destroyed than that you'll lose power. On the West Coast, earthquakes will cause power losses, but the likelihood of damage to the home is greater either from the quake or from the fires that start afterwards at the broken gas mains.

My assumption in my location in the San Francisco Bay Area is that we'll be stranded after a quake for some period of time, maybe weeks. If we're lucky, we'll have the house. If not, we'll have to go somewhere and shelter in place. We have food, water. and fuel for a month for the two of us, and some changes of clothes. Luckily, the weather here is temperate year-round (never below freezing, rainy in the so-called winter, generally in the 70s or 80s in the summer.

If the problem is one which cannot be forecast and evacuated in time (tornado, earthquake), sheltering in place may be the best option.