I have a Garmin Venture HCX. It's very economical, and has a built-in geocache feature. When they first came out, I spotted one for half price (less than $100) on the West Marine site. I thought the price was odd, but took a chance and ordered it. Sure enough, they sent the previous version without the high-sensitivity chip. I called them on it, and they sent me the new version at the old price. Nice. Anyway, geocaching was made with families in mind. It's about the most fun you can have when you're spending some time with kids, nieces, nephews, grandchildren. My wife's an artist and uses a lot of the "treasures" she finds and swaps for in the caches for her art projects. Do yourself a favor and fix yourself up with a small emergency kit, including a hiking staff/stick, and some water when you head out. Oh, don't forget spare batteries for your GPS. If you're venturing into the woods, you're probably not gonna get lost, but you will most likely slip and fall at some stage, get a splinter or cut looking through various debris for caches, and you definitely don't wanna go poking your hands in hidey holes in any place (like around here) where there are poisonous snakes. Use the hiking stick for that.

Edited by sotto (03/02/09 03:09 AM)