Originally Posted By: scafool
Thanks Andrew, I just looked and you are right.
Section 3 of the federal act listing prohibited weapons does not say anything about blade length, though it does specify some styles of knives.

I might have made a mistake, or it might be Provincial or municipal. Either way I stand corrected and thanks for pointing it out.

However, Dean, people have been charged with prohibited weapons just for carrying a buck knife.
There is also a charge of "Possession of weapon for a purpose dangerous to public peace" which lets them charge you with anything as a weapon, even a folded newspaper, based on intent.

As far as I know, there is no length restriction for knives in any jurisdiction in Canada. Type of knife - yes. Use of knife or intended used of knife - yes. Carrying a pocket knife even concealed is not likely to raise to many eyebrows, however a large knife that looks tactical carried in the open on the street will likely get at least a question or two from a LEO. Context of the knife is important, for example don't try to carry one into court! People have called for bans at drinking establishments where liquor can make people loose their inhibitions and where fights may break out.

This thread comes up often especially after a local knife killing or assault however in my area most knife deaths are from kitchen knives used during house parties and most often by a native on another native. That's a statistical fact however there are a lot of youth gangs that are getting stronger and more prominent in my area and they tend to have all kinds of illegal armament.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Police+board+seeks+targeting+knife+crimes/1089734/story.html
"Any discussion about restricting knife possession at the provincial level will have to recognize that criminal laws fall under federal jurisdiction, he noted.

The Criminal Code already contains several provisions against carrying knives.

For example, under Section 265, begging, accosting or impeding another person while openly wearing or carrying any weapon or imitation weapon constitutes an assault.

Section 90, which prohibits carrying concealed weapons, contains a carefully worded definition of weapons designed to allow for their legitimate use. In addition to knives that are commonly used in crime, such as switchblades, the definition includes steak knives or hunting knives -- if the prosecution can establish a knife was concealed because it was intended to be used as a weapon.

Under Section 90, hiding a weapon in a vehicle is the same as carrying a concealed weapon on a person.

Section 89 of the code also prohibits carrying any weapon while attending or "on the way to attend" a public meeting."