If the boundaries are not clearly posted, people may not KNOW they're out of bounds.

As I see it, if you DO get lost, and DO survive for ten days, and DO signal BY WHATEVER MEANS (PBS, fire, signal mirror, messages in the snow), and people see it and report it, WHY would anyone in the business IGNORE it?

We've got two posts right together, of people getting into trouble, contacting (by whatever means) the outside world, and no one goes to help.

If the British couple on the yacht died during a storm after talking to family and authorities, would it be their fault for being on the ocean? Would it be their fault if their rudder sticks? Would it be their fault that they are in a less-traveled part of the world? Would it be their fault that ships' captains are afraid of pirates?

Both these cases were dependent on private decisions: the BC couple were found by a private helicopter company that went looking on its own. The Brits were rescued when ONE SINGLE SHIP CAPTAIN went out of his way to find them.

Now, I'm as nasty and as cynical as most (and more than some), but if someone does get into trouble and does survive and does get the word out, why should they be ignored?

Like I said, don't change the rules in the middle of the game. You wouldn't tolerate it in penny-ante poker.

Sue