Sorry guys, I was just making an observation. The Long Now site has a lot of other stuff besides Orlov on it, I was just referring to the Orlov dissertation link.

It's all good food for thought, but I have more than enough on my plate just trying to get through the next few years. Forward thinking to 10,000 years from now just seems to be wasted effort beyond simple intrigue. Something I learned from studying probabilities is that the number of possible outcomes increases exponentially over time, so that no level of planning would allow for any sort of reliable prediction as to final outcome in even 100 years from now, let alone 10,000. There are just way too many variables to consider. Even still, were it possible, the weight such a consideration has on my current existence is quite negligible. I need to focus my attentions on getting through this life more or less intact, and providing my immediate progeny with a slightly greater advantage, or at least better opportunity, than I have.

If I have to consider anything about the future, I hold to this one truth, change is inevitable. You can resist it only so long, and the longer you resist, usually the more dramatic the effects of the change. Today, I am taking a big bite out of the apple, and slurping the oyster. In a couple years, I may be living the life of an Ivan Denitsovitch, if I am still even alive. It's the nature of the game, you can't keep rolling doubles everytime, and you can't win with a strategy that requires such luck either.