I'd say the incompetence finger only points to one spot for blame, and that is the couple that tempted fate. They instigated the event, and they are solely responsible for the outcome. The volunteers are all discretionary, and anyone stupid enough to go into the wilderness thinking that there's always going to be a safety net if they take a chance and it doesn't work out for them is just plain stupid. You can't fix stupid. Signs telling people they are responsibile for their own actions are wishful thinking.

Volunteers don't get paid, although the organization may receive some funding for their effort, but that is not an instant obligation, nor should it be.

However, I believe the lawyers will make a case and policies will be changed, and in the long run once again the general public will be footing the bill for ever more contingency against stupid people taking stupid risks.

It would be far better, I think if we spent the money on paid advertising telling everyone that they actually need to think before they do, and have some sort of plan on how to mitigate the risks they take. Imagine how different the outcome if the couple had been on this forum for a couple months before attempting what they did? Prevention is far, far more desirable and efficient than response.