I'm glad this topic came up. I've grown tired of the multi-gesticulation of using my cell phone as a watch. Unholstering, reholstering, unclipping, reclipping etc.

So after years of watchlessness I've placed my original Casio G-Shock back into service.

However...I've always wanted a Rolex Submariner and someday I'll treat myself to one. The Sea Dweller is also very nice. I'll never have a problem justifying it (to myself at least) because as MedB points out, there is satisfaction in owning something you know is well made, waterproof, durable and lets face it, looks great now and will always look good. The Submariner is simply an excellent example of great industrial design.

In the meantime I've remembered another "classic" from my youthful yearnings that also happens to share many of the above mentioned attributes. The Seiko SKX007 divers watch. It's been around forever, looks great, is durable and perhaps more to the point, is easily replaceable. In my recent research I came across yet another Seiko line. The "5" series has a nice "military" model that's even more affordable than the SKX007 diver. Either of these is automatic too. So very soon I'll be EDCing one of these two affordable alternatives to the Rolex.