Originally Posted By: dweste
Two challenges: 1 - where to neatly stow the anchor line and chain, and 2 - how to do everything single-handed, perhaps when not well (I get shoulder bursitis often enough to be concerned to plan for it) or in adverse conditions.

I have looked for manual-wind anchor winches that internally stow the anchor line but have not found any yet.

Since, I think you might want to do things the cheap way anyways, how about as follows:

1. Anchor line of double-braided line, stowed ina 5-gallon bucket, so it can be put in a lazarette or other compartment and remain neat when stowed. My memeroy tells me to coil it as if flemished backwards and working in tiers (coil it tightly around the outside of the bucket, get a tight coil across the bottom, then take the line to the next tier along the outside wall and work back in for each tier, time consuming but it should pay out easily;
2. Run the anchor line up toward the bow from your cock pit using a series of snatch blocks and run right to a headsail winch. When you want to pull it in and your shoulder is acting up, then put it on the winch, grab a winch handle, crank and crank nd crank, until it is free of the bottom. Much better if you have a self-tailing winch, but if not, it will work. If you can use snatch blocks, perhaps you can change the lead as it hauls in or right before you haul it in and put the lead near the front of you cock pit and off the side of your boat, or maybe even put your boom out with your main down to serve as a lead.
3. For an anchor, it's tough to beat a danforth with a few feet of chain.

What do you intend to use as a tender if anything?