Just to ask...
Why do you think that those knives are better than what you already have? I will admit that the Rat-5 probably IS better, but still... I would try to get a real Rat though...

Where are you going to use these knife at, and for what?

I know you wanted us to keep the discussion on those knives, but I have already stated my preferences there(The Rat-5), so I would like to mention a few other choices.

The Mora2000 is very nice and does not cost much.

Also, if you could spend a LITTLE more(about $120.00 total) have you considered something like this?

This would give you the best of both worlds, a Puukko for all around use, and a Leuku for chopping, batoning, etc. All in one sheath designed to keep the knives from slipping out.

This is comming from someone that has a LOT of knives, and could carry almost anthing I wanted. But with price a consideration, these would be HIGH on my list.
Something from Bark River or Ranger knives would also be good, but about one step higher in price. It is too bad that Becker knives are temporarily not available, as they are(were?) VERY good for the price.
Here is my Becker BK7, a Puukko, a Bark River Northstar, and a SAK.

A Nessmuk style would be good, but I doubt you would find one in your price range. Upper left in this picture.

BTW, I really like my Mk-3 and find the grip quite nice, but it is quite optimized for a normal grip. That is NOT the case for the two I suggested.
The blade on the Mk-3 is VERY nice. Wider blades make batoning much easier, which may help explain the shape of Nessmuk knives.

Edited by jamesraykenney (02/18/09 04:59 AM)