Although we would all like to have a few cases of MRE's packed away for times of need, many people (myself included) find it hard to both part with the cash, and remember to rotate them to maintain freshness. What other storage freindly foods exist? Canned goods are obvious, but many do not provide a all the nutritional content required. I've heard that peanut butter has the highest concentration of calories per weight, along with fats and vitamins, which seems to be a perfect survival food. Eggwhites are another calorie-dense food, even if they are harder to store. I guess I am looking for someting that I could concievably work into my everyday diet as an excuse to always have some on hand for emergencies. What other every-day foodstuffs would fit into this 'Perfect-food' catagory?

-Don

P.S. I do infact have 2 MRE's in the trunk of the car. This stems from getting stranded in a blizzard many years ago for a day. Trivia: Do you know how to get into your trunk without going outside? Obviously this is easy with a wagon or hatchback, but what if you drive a sedan?