The Girl Scout “Emergency and Survival Preparedness: workshop I taught over the weekend went well. We had two 3-hour programs, the first for middle school aged girls, in which 22 girls and several Leaders took part. The second for 13 high school aged girls and several Leaders. The focus of the workshop was preparing for emergencies and kit creation. I want to thank Dough for generously allowing me to use some materials from the ETS web site for a PowerPoint presentation. I currently do not have any photos, a Leader did take some of the first workshop, so I am hoping to obtain a few at some point in time.

We started off with an “experiment” soaking cotton, wool blend and synthetic clothing in water and hanging them outside, checking them at the end of each class, so the girls would have an idea of how different clothing materials could make a difference in surviving a dunk in water. Then had a PowerPoint presentation on emergencies, the “Rule of Threes”, “STOP”, “Hug-A-Tree”, making priorities, how to prepare and general survival information. We then reviewed several survival kits pointing out both good and poor components and designs/contents. The girls then put together their own kits.

We are now making plans for another workshop in April or May on fire making, shelter building and basic cooking.

Pete