Total bull from our politicians. Senator is trying to pass a bill banning all folding knives in Hawaii. I sent him a letter objecting as well. If you care, here it is:

Senator Ihara,

As a law abiding citizen and tax payer in the state of Hawaii, I must offer my objections to the bill (HI S 126) that you introduced. I actually find it incredible that something like this can even be considered. While I support criminalizing anything used as a weapon and in committing a crime, the amount of time a knife is used as such must be infinitesimally small compared to its legal use.

I have carried a pocket knife of some sort all my life and still do. When I travel, I feel naked having to check it until I arrive at my destination. As an avid outdoorsman, I will always have a knife with me. As part of my daily life, I find having a pocket knife handy and useful. It is used for some task or another almost daily. Does that make me a criminal? I certainly don’t think so. But your bill, if it passes, would as I would likely continue to carry and use a pocket knife. Or if the pocket knife is somehow banned, I may have to resort to carrying a fixed sheath knife. The knife is one of man’s oldest tools, probably only sticks and stones would be older.

If you truly want to reduce crime, stop making ordinary mundane things that don’t hurt anyone criminal. Rather focus on things like drugs that alter people’s normal behavior that lead to crime. There was a time in our country’s history that if you went to school without your pocket knife, you would be scolded for not being prepared. I feel many people carry a pocket knife as part of their preparedness planning. I know I do. You tell all the Boy Scouts they can no longer have a knife. You tell the construction workers. And you tell the tourists that visit.

If I had to protect myself or my family, I would not likely reach for the knife in my pocket but rather pick up a stick or a rock. I view the knife as a tool not a weapon. And besides, I suspect most people would be like me and try to not be in a situation where any kind of force is needed.

You may as well ban cars as I feel more people are killed and injured by cars than knives. I know, I was injured in an auto accident fairly recently. And no, I do not want to give up my car. But I think when a car is used illegally or improperly, the driver should be penalized. In my case, the guy that hit me was uninsured and had no license. He even hit me while I was parked. Do I feel the vehicle was the problem? No, that would be foolish. The driver was the problem.

So to conclude, I think your bill is not only short-sighted, but foolish. You will wrongfully harm the citizens of Hawaii who carry and use pocket knives legally to satisfy some constituent that may have complained to you because they saw someone use a pocket knife and got scared by it. Over the past several decades, our society is being emasculated and weakened; and your bill will further that trend. Not only that, you will likely harm our economy as well by adversely affecting the honest businesses and people who use and sell knives and possibly our valuable visitors. I know many people that visit our islands and many will bring a pocket knife of some sort with them.

Perhaps, if legislators are also penalized for the harmful laws that they pass; more consideration would be taken before something is proposed. Please reconsider what you are trying to do with your bill.

Mahalo,

Please contact the senator:

Les Ihara, Jr.
Majority Policy Leader
9th Senatorial District
Hawaii State Capitol, Room 220
415 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
phone 808-586-6250; fax 808-586-6251
e-mail: senihara@Capitol.hawaii.gov